Sunday, August 24, 2008

Hans Conried

In the past month or so, I've come across the name Hans Conried at least three times. And each time, I thought to myself, "I know who that is, but I just can't put my finger on it." And so I checked his page on the IMDB, and of course the things I knew him from leapt out, just as they did all the other times I've looked him up. You probably know who he is, too, but nothing he's been in comes to mind. Well, you might know him as Dr. Terwilliker in The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T (Dr. Seuss' only live action feature film). Or as both King Azaz and The Mathemagician in The Phantom Tollboth, Horton and Dr. Whoovey in the animated special Horton Hears a Who, or even Snidely Whiplash in Dudley Do-Right (the cartoon, not the movie), not to mention Thorin in the Rankin-Bass version of The Hobbit. But I know you know Hans Conreid, because he was also Captain Hook in Disney's Peter Pan.
Of course, he's done more than that, much more. Like a million guest spots on various tv shows, seriously. So I have no idea why I never remember him until I look at his profile again (and again and again...).

No comments: