Monday, October 29, 2007

Why I Think Grizzle is Awesome


Okay, I was going to do a straightforwardish review of Oopsy Does It, but I knew it would end up as a "Grizzle was awesome here" fest. So I'm going to get that out of the way first. In semi-chronological order, the awesome stuff Grizzle does in Oopsy Does It:

1. His opening monologue
A lot of what I love about Grizzle has to do with his voice. I'm still not entirely sure who does him (I'm guessing Mark Oliver), but I love the characterization he gives here. At times a menacing growl, a condescending sweet talk, booming showmanship, and so much maniacal laughter (but more on that later).

2. Being mean to Wingnut
I'm sorry, but a lot of his best lines come out when he's abusing his sole minion:
"Do we need to have that little talk again?" (one can only imagine what "the talk" entails, but just the threat of it is enough to make Wingnut fall apart)
"You know I don't speak toaster!"
"What? He swallowed it?"
"I loosened it."

3. Having amusing lines in general:
"One that will put an end to those Care Bears for good! (pause) Or, well, for bad. But it'll be good for me."
(When Oopsy points out that he's tall) "Of course I'm tall! Taller than you."
"A Care Bear? In my lair?" (Why this didn't turn into a song, I have no clue. It would have been great!)
"No, I'm not. I'm looking at your Care Bear bottom!"
"The rainbow! I must have it!"
"Seriously, you have no idea how good this is going to feel."
"I think the belly badges and I will be leaving now."
"Yes, yes, I know. I'm a little bear."

4. Eating a sandwich
Okay, he doesn't really eat it, and he loves the sweet pickles. But the reason that I included this is because it validates my hunch that his midnight snack in episode two of Adventures in Care-a-lot (King Grumpy) was a sandwich. And I just love how, when he spots Oopsy, he first looks at his sandwich, and then at Oopsy, and then tosses the sandwich away, apparently deciding that being menacing is more important than being full.

5. That "twinkle toes" move when he's about to take advantage of Oopsy's naivete
And his whole posturing in general during this scene. So sneaky, so fake.

6. Giving the Care Taker salespitch
Seriously, it's like he put on his best Used Car Salesman voice.

7.'Nuff said.

8. Grizzle's Bad
I've already expounded on why I love this song, but that doesn't mean it doesn't make the list.

9. Getting all excited about the Care Taker finally being finished
Like a little kid in his excitement ^_^ Too cute!

10. Not being amused by Oopsy's rainbow bottom
Pretty much my reaction, too. And the near-kick? Priceless.

11. Not even trying to hide his maniacal laughter
It's true. He goes at it even when the good guys are hanging around, and even when they're asleep!

12. Meeting Cheer
Slightly suave, a little naughty ("Careful, he squirts oil.")

13. Filling in Cheer and Oopsy on his plan
The smug superiority is what makes it.

14. His suit being slightly autonomous
This surprised me, for some reason, even though I saw it dancing with him during Grizzle's Bad. But then, during that part, Grizzle had a deep voice, which he doesn't here, so who's to say?

15. Riding on the minimized Care Taker, deep in thought

16. Wearing a bowtie
What? It's cute.

17. His knowing smile as the badgeless Care Bears gear up to give him a Care Bear Stare

18. Giving part of his backstory
But not enough! All we know is that he's been up in his lair for years, but little else.

19. Filled with power from the belly badges
Even if he can't actually use the power, it still looks cool. And imagine if it had worked!

20. Smashing the belly badge container even though he was detained by the heart arch

21. Demanding "no caring stuff"

22. Being shocked at his suit's betrayal
Same here. It just felt wrong. Grizzle and his suit are a team!

One thing that I didn't really like was Grizzle's impatience throughout. I mean, I understand it, but I didn't like it.

No comments: